August 9, 2013
I've changed my Web hosting service from BlueHost to Arvixe.
September 6, 2010
The first major update to the Web site in quite a while, I've updated the pages to use frames, so that the navigation menu isn't lost when scrolling the pages.
March 19, 2006
My experience with Microsoft technical support was so unique that it inspired
me to launch a new Web site
September 18, 2005
I've rewritten my Guestbook to run off a MySQL
database. All of the existing entries were moved to the database.
The primary reason I did this was to combat the bastard spammers
who try to fill-up my Guestbook with their tripe. It used to be easier, as I
could identify the IP Address of the offending spammer, then block that from my
site. Unfortuantely, as spammers become more sophisticated, they have started
zombie computers -- the systems of unsuspecting (and usually clueless)
user who have been infected by a virus that allows their connection to be used
by the spammers to do their diry business.
I will also have new entries held until I have approved them, so the spammers can post all they want, but their entries will never appear in the Guestbook.
I am working on setting-up some more sophisticated filtering, and once that's in
place, I will switch back to immediate updates.
February 5, 2005
Since my 'Though for today' file was beginning to contain a large number of amusing definitions, I decided to separate them into a 'Word of the Day' feature.
August 23, 2004
I've had to yet again switch providers. Your-site.com seemed to always be
having one or another major problem, though I always stuck with them because
they seemed to really work hard to correct them. But the last straw came
today, when I found out my email had been getting bounced for over 24 hours.
There was no notification, and nothing posted in their system status. So
I called up tech support, and was told in an off-hand manner that they'd tried
to implement spam filters, and everything was bouncing. When I asked for
more details, the tech seemed quite annoyed.
So that was it. I can't tolerate not having email, especially when it
didn't seem like any big deal to them. And as far as their new spam filters,
I already have a filtering service-- I never wanted them to implement
them, and when they caused problems, they should have immediately backed the
change out, instead of playing with them for days while everyone's email
October 21, 2002
July 21, 2002
- My Web service provider experienced a catastrophic failure, in which my
entire site was lost. I had my own backup from January, so I was able to
recover from that. Any changes and updates I had done were of course lost.
December 5, 2001
- Overhauled comic strip page to include archive sites for many of the strips, and more links to other sites.
November 19, 2001
- Removed LinkExchange banners. They didn't seem to be
generating much traffic, and were sometimes caused the pages to load slowly.
December 22, 2000
- Moved Web site from Eclipse to DannyBoy for hosting.
This was done due to technical problems at Eclipse, which it seemed they were
unable to resolve in a reasonable time, as well as getting more services for
- Removed the old homepage.
March 26, 2000
- Expanded Weather links and moved them to a separate page.
November 13, 1999
- Added the Joke Archive page.
September 15, 1999
- Due to a change the Houston Chronicle made in the way their comics
are accessed, I can no longer display the images on my own page. Therefore I
don't have any control over the comic page itself. The major differences are:
- The comics are not all displayed on a single page.
- There's no direct link from a medium- to high-resolution comic.
- The ads on the page are not mine.
- There is no link back to my page, so I open the comics in a new window.
August 20, 1999
- Added a page for joining my joke mailing list.
June 13, 1999
- Widened the page layout. Previously my page was set up so that it
would fit on a 640x480 resolution screen. However, I've gotten complaints
that the layout looked too narrow. Since most users have a minimum screen
size of 800x600, I went with a layout that works with that size.
December 6, 1998
- My Homepage was given a whole new look! The main page was broken-up into
several smaller ones, the color scheme was redone, and a navigation bar was
added to the left side of the page. The main reason for the overhaul was that
things were becoming too cluttered, and the time to load the page was getting
too long due to all the graphics on the same page.
December 5, 1998
- My For Sale page went up. This is something I'd been working on for
a while. There are still more items that could be added, but I thought it would
be better to go with what I had so far.
- I joined The Link Exchange. The
primary reason was to get more exposure to my For Sale page, though it should
help the overall traffic too.
September 11, 1998
- I became Master of my Domain - I registered GeoDosch.com as my
Domain name, so that I would have a permanent Email and URL address.
(Anti Spam Link)